неделя, 30 септември 2012 г.

My Best Friend's Girl

 I guess the reason I didn't TOTALLY LOVE My Best Friend's Girl (because I'm a bit of a sucker for lighthearted, clichéd romcoms) was that I was not in the mood for a lighthearted, clichéd romcom after the beautiful Midnight in Paris. And I defo wasn't in the mood for Jason Biggs. I mean, I have days when I love Jason Biggs, but on some days he just reminds me so much of American Pie, and that movie always kind of pisses me off. No offense to anyone who likes American Pie, by the way. Just totally not my cup of tea.

 What seriously pissed me off about My Best Friend's Girl, though, wasn't its clichéd lightheartedness (which was awesome), nor was it Jason Biggs (who was awesome). It was that concept that last guys finish last. I mean... I hate it. Jason's character, Dustin, is a terribly nice guy whom every girl would love to have in her life, even though he does, admittedly, go a bit overboard trying to impress Kate Hudson... Alexis. But he is so nice, and so lovely, and so attentive, and yet she turns him down. Congratulations, Dustin, you just got FRIENDZONED. As someone who has friendzoned a terribly nice guy and bitterly regreted it after that, I would like to point out: THIS IS NOT WHAT YOU WANT TO BE TEACHING TEENAGERS. Or young adults. Or whoever this is targeted at.

 So, instead of going for the absolutely loveable Dustin, Alexis decides that her ONE TRU LUF is... Dustin's best friend and roommate, Tank. Now, don't get me wrong, Tank is a charming dude. He's got a smile to die for, sense of humor and he is an incredibly loyal friend... until he falls for Alexis. But she doesn't know how great he is, because he is being a douchebag all the time. And yet she falls in love with him. And ruins their friendship.

 I mean, it being a romcom and all, at the end it's all obviously resolved, Tank and Dustin are friends again and Tank and Alexis fall in love and I cannot, for the life of me, remember what happens to Dustin, even though I saw the film like a week ago. I didn't watch it all in one go, however, so there is this pretty weird part at the end that I do not get - I think Alexis and her recently married (did she get married? I think she kind of didn't. ) sister are pregnant with Tank's children... Or it might have just been a replay of something that happened earlier. I'm pretty sure it's the latter. I have to rewatch to be sure, though.

 Well, it's a pretty predictable film, but it has some genuinly funny parts and it's nice enough, as romantic comedies go. The actors are not bad. The soundtrack is not bad. And there is this lovely theme of male friendship. I love male friendship. I mean, with a girl-and-girl friendship there is ALWAYS some bitchiness and with a boy-and-girl friendship there is ALWAYS some sexual tension, but boy-and-boy friendships are so beautiful and true and drama-free and awesome and oh my god sometimes I just wanna be a boy so badly. That's why I was very un-impressed when a girl ruined their friendship, but it did get better in the end and Tank and Dustin's friendship survived that jump.

 On the whole, I liked it, it was fun to pass the time, but I wouldn't say it's a film I'm gonna remember. And there are some annoying concepts, such as last guys finish last and a girl can ruin a male friendship, which I just do not agree with. But it was funny (kind of important, seeing how it's a comedy) and the performance was good, so I'm gonna give it...

6/10.

Няма коментари:

Публикуване на коментар